Academic Staff Members (ASMs) holding tenured or tenure-track appointments are eligible to apply for sabbatical leave. However, the sabbatical leave may be taken only after tenure is attained (Clause 22.15).
When to Apply
Application may be made during the third or subsequent year of service for a sabbatical leave of four months, which will begin no earlier than the start of the fourth year of service. For a leave of twelve months, application may be made during the sixth or subsequent year of eligible service, which can be taken during the following seventh or subsequent year. Following the taking of a twelve month sabbatical, application may be made for every six years of eligible service and application for a four month sabbatical may be made after every three years of eligible service.
Ten months in advance of the date the leave is to commence, the Academic Staff Member should submit an application in writing to the Administrative Head and include supporting documents outlining the scope and aims of the proposed scholarship activities. If applicable, a copy of the report of a previous sabbatical should be included.
How to calculate eligible years of service (see Clause 22.20)
- A)Include all periods of service even if the service was not continuous
- B)prorate time for any periods of reduced duties (see Article 5)
- C)include prior service in full-time term appointments at MUN
- D)do not include periods of unpaid leave greater than three months (note: Long Term Disability leave is paid leave), and
- E)include the number of years of prior service at another university if this has been evaluated at the time of the initial tenure-track or tenured appointment as stated in your letter of appointment.